  From: scirocco-l-admin@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-admin@scirocco.org]On Behalf Of Tyler Pease
  Sent: Friday, November 22, 2002 8:30 AM
  To: List
  Subject: Re: [OT]Stupid XP question-

  I'm sorry but most of you are pretty confused about this.  XP requires
online registration.  Microsoft keeps a database of XP cd keys and ties it
to various things about your computer to identify itself.  These are things
such as your network card's unique id, your hard drive serial number, and a
few other pieces of hardware.  Thats why, when you change too much hardware
in your computer you must reregister XP with M$.  It also doesn't matter if
you have internet or not, if you have the internet XP uses that to register
itself with microsoft, if not it gives you a 25 didget number and must call
an 800 number to get another 25 digit response from an M$ tech support
person.  You have something like 15 days to do either of these processes
before XP disables itself.  If you install XP on one computer and register
it, and then install it on another computer and register it, the first
computer will no longer work and will need to be reregistered.

  You absolutley have to do this with XP home, XP pro, or office XP.

  There are two ways to be exempt from this.
  1.  Buy the corporate CD or obtain it from a friend, corporate requires
you to buy at least a bundle of 5 but has activation disabled.

  2.  Download the corporate CD from the net or download the neccessary
files and hack your copy to be a coporate version.  The only problem with
this is microsoft knows which copies are floating around the net and they
check for these copies when you download Service Pack 1.   Basically you
have to do a whole other work around to then get sp1 on.

  So no, you can't put your copy on more than one computer unless somebody
nice sends you the corporate CD.  However, if you just want the stability of
XP then you can go with 2000.  It has no activation and is the same OS just
without a few of the utilities and the new interface (which I turn off
anyway).

------=_NextPart_000_0061_01C29214.55378BA0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2600.0" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D040084418-22112002><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =
size=3D2>Hmmm,=20
what's with mine then?&nbsp; I downloaded a hacked one from the net and =
it works=20
perfect.&nbsp; I put SP1 on it too.&nbsp; I suppose it registered =
itself, I did=20
have to put in the hack-supplied serial number.&nbsp; But that's =
it.&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
I know for a fact that hundreds of other people are using it as well, =
and with=20
the same serial number.&nbsp; No white jackets at my place=20
yet!</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D040084418-22112002><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =

size=3D2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D040084418-22112002><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =

size=3D2>Vince</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px =
solid">
  <DIV class=3DOutlookMessageHeader dir=3Dltr align=3Dleft><FONT =
face=3DTahoma=20
  size=3D2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B>=20
  scirocco-l-admin@scirocco.org =
[mailto:scirocco-l-admin@scirocco.org]<B>On=20
  Behalf Of </B>Tyler Pease<BR><B>Sent:</B> Friday, November 22, 2002 =
8:30=20
  AM<BR><B>To:</B> List<BR><B>Subject:</B> Re: [OT]Stupid XP=20
  question-<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>
  <P>I'm sorry but most of you are pretty confused about this.&nbsp; XP =
requires=20
  online registration.&nbsp; Microsoft keeps a database of XP cd keys =
and ties=20
  it to various things about your computer to identify itself.&nbsp; =
These are=20
  things such as your network card's unique id, your hard drive serial =
number,=20
  and a few other pieces of hardware.&nbsp; Thats why, when you change =
too much=20
  hardware in your computer you must reregister XP with M$.&nbsp; It =
also=20
  doesn't matter if you have internet or not, if you have the internet =
XP uses=20
  that to register itself with microsoft, if not it gives you a 25 =
didget number=20
  and must call an&nbsp;800 number to get another 25 digit response from =
an M$=20
  tech support person.&nbsp; You have something like 15 days to do =
either of=20
  these processes before XP disables itself.&nbsp; If you install XP on =
one=20
  computer and register it, and then install it on another computer and =
register=20
  it, the first computer will no longer work and will need to be=20
  reregistered.&nbsp; </P>
  <P>You absolutley have to&nbsp;do this with XP home, XP pro, or office =

  XP.&nbsp; </P>
  <P>There are two ways to be exempt from this.&nbsp; <BR>1.&nbsp; Buy =
the=20
  corporate CD or obtain it from a friend, corporate requires you to buy =
at=20
  least a bundle of 5 but has activation disabled.</P>
  <P>2.&nbsp; Download the corporate CD from the net or download the =
neccessary=20
  files and hack your copy to be a coporate version.&nbsp; The only =
problem with=20
  this is microsoft knows which copies are floating around the net and =
they=20
  check for these copies when you download Service Pack 1.&nbsp;&nbsp; =
Basically=20
  you have to do a whole other work around to then get sp1 on.&nbsp; =
</P>
  <P>So no, you can't put your copy on more than one computer unless =
somebody=20
  nice sends you the corporate&nbsp;CD.&nbsp; However, if you just want =
the=20
  stability of XP then you can go with 2000.&nbsp; It has no activation =
and is=20
  the same OS just without a few of the utilities and the new interface =
(which I=20
  turn off anyway).</P>
  <P><BR>
  <HR SIZE=3D1>