snow tires

If you go with snow tires, you really should put them on all four
corners.  If you do just the fronts, the ass end will be all over the
place.  Tire Rack sells snow tires and steel wheel packages.  Looks like
it would cost just $404 for 185/60/14 Blizzaks with the steel wheels.

I had a set of cheap Winter King (Michelin?) tires on a Jetta GLX and
they were great in the snow, but not so great for dry weather
performance.  My point is that it's not really necessary to buy the
expensive snow tires such as Nokian, Blizzak, etc.  The cheapest snow
tire is still much better in the snow than an all season tire would be
as long as you're willing to sacrifice a little dry performance.

Mike