snow tires

At 02:07 PM 11/11/2002, NarcolepticFlea@aol.com wrote:
>I'm moving to Colorado in Jan (yeah I know that doesn't sound like a good
>plan but I have no choice) from NY and going over the Rocky Mountains. I
>have a complete stock 88 16v with teardrop rims. I need snow tire
>reccommendations. I was thinking 2 new all season tires on the back (I
>have one, its just a goodyear basic street/touring tire, was going to get
>a second of the same time) and two blizzacks up front. Anyone have a
>better plan? I know there are a few listers out in that area, maybe you
>guys have reccommendations.

That is a bad plan...  a VERY BAD plan.

First of all, you are never to mix Blizzaks (or any dedicated snows) with
all-seasons.  It's a dangerous combination, and exactly the reason why
Bridgestone originally sold them only in sets of 4.

Putting all-seasons on the back with Blizzaks on the front will net you two
things:
         1.  In Dry weather and rain, you will experience vast
understeer.  Not outright dangerous.
         2.  In snow, your car will be uncontrollable.  Imagine driving
with your e-brake on all time.  Your front will have traction and
directional stability -- your rear won't have either.

If you're going to be living out there, you're going to need snow tires,
end of discussion.  Get a set of 4 Blizzaks and be done with it.  If you
were just "driving through" once, I'd say get 3 more all-seasons and hope
for the best.

Jason