Proper way to drive a stick?

------=_NextPart_000_002A_01C281C7.A2BAC7A0

Its okay I learned how to drive on an left handed Austin martin when I used
to work for AMC (opps showing my age here), practiced on a towing.. (now
that is fun...lol)

1. All out accelerating.. Well you power up to the rpm you like (I like 5K)
when I hit the mark, its a lots of practice of course and I will make it
sound simple. (and if you miss you grind...lol), so the needle hit 5K, the
left foot pushes on clutch, Right foot comes off the gas (a little and in
proportion to how fast I am about to shift and that is the key for smooth
acceleration (run 1/4 mile drag will make you understand this) and pop/throw
the gear in, let out the clutch, push on gas to exactly where the
acceleration was before. if you do it right and your trying for
power-acceleration the needle should not drop more than 2K (i.e.: from 5 to
3K on RPM Gauge)  if it drops below 3K  you've missed you gear or your
gearing is  .91 to .65 in 5th and you cannot power shift on it (grin)

2. double clutching, hear it all the time on Movies, someone one day will
race me and show me what it really makes a  difference on a FWD car. (grin)
don;t sweat that one I say

3. You usually want to use your clutch for IN or OUT of gear (unless your
engine is turned off.)

4. Downshifting, If you properly downshift (not POWER downshift trying to
slow down really fast for cops (I.e.: engine revs past 4K on downshift) it
will not wear any faster the clutch, downshifting is matched on a car to
mellow the car out, and slow it down gradually, I usually downshift coming
off the highways, and while coming up on lights.... (usually downshift @ or
under 2K), that way it only revs 1.5K upwards and does not "buck the cars
trying to slow down" and does not cause any real issues with clutches (and
before anyone starts opening that can of worms..I I've been doing this on a
7 year old clutch and its works just fine.)