Proper way to drive a stick?

--0-1158201235-1036172281=:15827

Ok, this may sound kind of dumb of me to ask, and I'm a bit embarassed but I really don't know.  I was taught the basics of how to drive a stick over the course of about a week.  Then it was about a year untill I got my first car (rode bike to work).  So I pretty much taught myself how to drive a stick when I got my Toyota pickup.   Now I've been driving sticks for about 3 years but was wondering about some things that I've never had anybody tell me.  Whats the proper way to shift when your all out accelerating?  The reason I ask is I've heard some mention of needing to double clutch and I don't even know the proper procedure for double clutching, something about reving the engine to the right speed???   I've just been putting in the clutch and throwing the car into the next gear.  Also, is it bad to pull the car out of gear with out using the clutch?    You can be technicle with me cause I've read up on transmissions and know what their compents are and how they work (theory).  I'm just unaware of some of these issues that nobody has told me about (reality).  The main reason I ask is my transmission is starting to make noise and I'm wondering if its my fault or if the tranny is getting old.