need a stronger starter!

Get an A2 diesel starter - they have a reduction gear built into them, and
are quite compact (they are longer but much smaller diameter than the A1
diesel starters.)  They will bolt up to an A1 transmission fine, one bolt
hole will be unused (meant for the front mount on the A2.)

If you can't find an A2 diesel starter, then an A1 diesel starter is a
good second choice.  They are a direct-drive starter, but much larger with
more hp than the gas version.

Drew