Proper way to drive a stick?

> So I pretty much taught myself how to drive a stick

yup, same here, only i did it at the arcade (hard drivin')

> Whats the proper way to shift when your all out accelerating?  The reason I
ask is I've heard some mention of needing to double clutch and I don't even know
the proper procedure for double clutching, something about reving the engine to
the right speed???

    the purpose of double clutching is to match the speeds of the gears before
engaging them. you let out on the clutch (not all the way), mid-shift when the
engine speed is correct for the gear you are about to enter. even though you are
still in neutral when you let out on the clutch, the disc engages enough to
'pull' the tranny input shaft up to the engine speed. now the gears you are
about to use are matched in speed. this way when you hit the clutch again and
throw it into gear, they mesh properly without grinding. well, the gears are
always meshed, but the dogs arent... you get the point though.
    our trannies are syncromesh, making this type of shifting hardly necessary
unless you are really going all-out and shifting quickly. proper double
clutching on our trannies will minimize syncro wear, and can even correct for
previously worn syncros (i.e. the infamous 2nd gear grind).

> I've just been putting in the clutch and throwing the car into the next gear.

that works for 99% of the population

> Also, is it bad to pull the car out of gear with out using the clutch?

only if there is a load on the tranny at the time (i.e. accelerating or
coasting, coasting being with the car in gear and throttle fully closed). you
would have to have the engine 'keeping pace' with the car to not excessively
wear the shifting components of the tranny (i.e. fork). when done correctly,
there will be almost no resistance on the shifter while pulling it out of gear,
it should feel no different than as if you had the clutch in.

> The main reason I ask is my transmission is starting to make noise and I'm
wondering if its my fault or if the tranny is getting old.

well, trannies do get old. might want to check the fluid level. output drive
seals love to start leaking at the worst times.

HTH
Al