Proper way to drive a stick?

On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 09:53:09AM -0800, Jeff Toomasson wrote:

>    1) Do not use clutch to pull tranny out of gear (unless at 1mph and
>    you're about to stall)

That's really not a good idea for the longevity of your
transmission.  Always use your clutch when taking the tranny in or out of
gear.

>    2) Do not keep clutch engaged when stopped

Doesn't wear your clutch any.  In some states, the law requires the
transmission to be kept in gear while stopped on the road.  Does wear your
TO bearing, but that's a quick easy part to swap on a VW.

>    3) Do not downshift to aid braking (unless trying to be inconspicuous
>    to the law  :)  rationale? brakes are cheaper than clutches.

This statement ABSOLUTELY needs further clarification.  Yeah, for general
around-town driving, don't downshift to aid braking.  But when decending
long, steep grades, DEFINITELY downshift to a lower gear.  Ride them
brakes all the way down, your rotors will be red-hot, brake fluid boiling,
friction material toased, and braking action nil.  I've seen many people
stopped on the side of the road with white smoke pouring out of their
wheel wells from failing to use a lower gear while decending the
pass.  Most of them had out-of-state "flatlander" licence tags.

>    CMIIW, but I believe double-clutching is really only for down-shifting
>    when racing.

Also for those of us with gearboxes with blown synchros.

>    It supposedly allows one to downshift without the
>    engine's decelerating "braking" effect impacting speed...

It allows you to shift a non-synchronized transmission by using the engine
to bring the input shaft to approximately the same speed as the output
shaft before putting the car int gear.

Dan

--
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers
exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will

There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
(HHGTG)