Thursdays Suck.... Bit of a rant

--=======6E255B83=======

At 08:44 AM 11/1/02 -0500, jp43044 wrote:

>Thursdays suck.  Josh, Broke I am sorry for not making over ther to check
>out the swap.  Every-now and then you get to read about a deer claiming
>someone's car.  well, it fianlly happened to me yesterday.  After spending
>part of the day out toying with the 16V, Nathan (my son) and I were on our
>way back into town. He was chomping on some candy trying to pawn off the
>ones he didn't want to me and BAM!!! Bambi is owned.  We were driving my
>mother's Lovely Dodge.  The one I ragged on last week.  I hit the brakes,
>they locked up, and we hit that deer at about 35-40 mph.  took out it's ass
>and legs.  Suprisingly the car lived through it.  But what was alarming was
>that the airbag didn't go off.  So now the car is wearing a new tan go-tee
>and scratched paint.  This is the first deer I have ever hit. I have to say,
>I don't know how it didn't destroy the car.  So now Nathan is convinced that
>I was tring to hit the deer and he is going to tell Santa.  I hate
>Thursday's
>

>Erik
>88 16V
>88 Golf (Urban Insult Vehichle)

It most cases of hitting a deer your airbag won't go off, especially with a
vehicle with
some mass to it.  Now hit a moose and it's a different story.  The airbags
are meant
to deploy when you hit solid object(other cars, walls, houses etc), and not
softer things
that absorb the impact.  I hit a parked car a few years ago in a parking
lot (sliding on ice)
and did about two grand worth of damge to the other car, with no airbag
deployment.  So it
does take a bit to get them to deploy.  BTW I know how you feel I hit my
first one this week
too, after 14 years of driving around them.  But he was fine, just gave him
a little tap.

John