HELP! Prob w/ rebuilt engine

--0-802726805-1036182084=:57549

We had the camshafts set for TDC, and we started out with the pistons all in about mid stroke with #1 on its way up.  Moving from there to TDC, nothing could have interfered.  We never took the shafts off the 1.8 head, so the intake must have been timed right with the exhaust and all that sort of thing.
We did this without spark plugs, so it isn't at all related to compression.
The block has new rings and bearings in it, and new front and rear seals.  So maybe one of those is messed up, but if that were the case it would just get stuck here or there, or get jammed up, right?  It wouldn't make the shaft want to pop from something like 10°BTDC to TDC practically on its own and rest there, could it?
I guess the thing to do would be to tear down the whole thing and check it out, but its in the car now.  We should have done that as soon as we noticed the problem but I guess we weren't in the mood or something.
Can the oil pump be removed with the engine in the car?  I assume so.  Maybe there is something bizzarre going on between the pump or baffle and the crank.
Any more ideas???
 Rabbit16v <Rabbit16v@attbi.com> wrote:So, you are turning over the motor without the timing belt hooked up???  That is suicide man!  The 2.0L 16v is an interference engine so you HAVE to have the timing belt hooked up to turn it over to TDC unless the cams are not installed.  There are ways of turning thre crank around without hitting valves but it isn't easy.  I can't think of anything else that would be interferring enough to cause the "popping" feeling that you are feeling at TDC than if you are smashing a valve.  I hope it isn't that, for you sake, but unless something weird is going on with the wrist pins/bushings or rod bearings or something along those lines, I can't think of anything else that would cause this. Dave ----- Original Message ----- From: Brian Haygood To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org Sent: Friday, November 01, 2002 11:51 AMSubject: HELP! Prob w/ rebuilt engine

So I was in Ohio helping Josh and Brian with the 2.0l install.  When putting on the crank pulley we noticed something odd.  We held a screwdriver in the #1 spark plug hole so we'd know when it was about TDC so we would get the pulley on the right way.  Here's the problem:

When turning the engine over by hand, the crankshaft sorta "pops" into TDC.  This is without the camshaft connected to it via the timing belt, but it feels just like the way the camshaft pops to rest between lobes as you turn it.

This happened when assembling the head and junk onto the new block.  There was no flywheel on it, and no timing belt.  It's a 2.0l 16v, so it's not distributor related either.

Any ideas?  The engine is in and they would like to start it soon, but very nervous about this.

HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
--0-802726805-1036182084=:57549

<P>We had the camshafts set for TDC, and we started out with the pistons all in about mid stroke with #1 on its way up.&nbsp; Moving from there to TDC, nothing could have interfered.&nbsp; We never took the shafts off the 1.8 head, so the intake must have been timed right with the exhaust and all that sort of thing.&nbsp;
<P>We did this without spark plugs, so it isn't at all related to compression.
<P>The block has new rings and bearings in it, and new front and rear seals.&nbsp; So maybe one of those is messed up, but if that were the case it would just get stuck here or there, or get jammed up, right?&nbsp; It wouldn't make the shaft want to pop from something like 10°BTDC to TDC practically on its own and rest there, could it?&nbsp;
<P>I guess the thing to do would be to tear down the whole thing and check it out, but its in the car now.&nbsp; We should have done that as soon as we noticed the problem but I guess we weren't in the mood or something.&nbsp;
<P>Can the oil pump be removed with the engine in the car?&nbsp; I assume so.&nbsp; Maybe there is something bizzarre going on between the pump or baffle and the crank.
<P>Any more ideas???
<P>&nbsp;<B><I>Rabbit16v &lt;Rabbit16v@attbi.com&gt;</I></B> wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">
<STYLE></STYLE>

<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>So, you are turning over the motor without the timing belt hooked up???&nbsp; That is suicide man!&nbsp; The 2.0L 16v is an interference engine so you HAVE to have the timing belt hooked up to turn it over to TDC unless the cams are not installed.&nbsp; There are ways of turning thre crank around without hitting valves but it isn't easy.&nbsp; I can't think of anything else that would be interferring enough to cause the "popping" feeling that you are feeling at TDC than if you are smashing a valve.&nbsp; I hope it isn't that, for you sake, but unless something weird is going on with the wrist pins<FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3>/bushings or rod bearings or something along those lines, I can't think of anything else that would cause this.</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Dave</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
<DIV style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A title=red8716v@yahoo.com href="mailto:red8716v@yahoo.com";>Brian Haygood</A> </DIV>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A title=scirocco-l@scirocco.org href="mailto:scirocco-l@scirocco.org";>scirocco-l@scirocco.org</A> </DIV>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Friday, November 01, 2002 11:51 AM</DIV>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> HELP! Prob w/ rebuilt engine</DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<P>So I was in Ohio helping Josh and Brian with the 2.0l install.&nbsp; When putting on the crank pulley we noticed something odd.&nbsp; We held a screwdriver in the #1 spark plug hole so we'd know when it was about TDC so we would get the pulley on the right way.&nbsp; Here's the problem:</P>
<P>When turning the engine over by hand, the crankshaft sorta "pops" into TDC.&nbsp; This is without the camshaft connected to it via the timing belt, but it feels just like the way the camshaft pops to rest between lobes as you turn it.&nbsp; </P>
<P>This happened when assembling the head and junk onto the new block.&nbsp; There was no flywheel on it, and no timing belt.&nbsp; It's a 2.0l 16v, so it's not distributor related either.&nbsp; </P>
<P>Any ideas?&nbsp; The engine is in and they would like to start it soon, but very nervous about this.</P>
<P><BR>
<HR SIZE=1>
--0-802726805-1036182084=:57549--