  From: Brian Haygood=20
  To: Rabbit16v ; Scirocco List=20
  Sent: Friday, November 01, 2002 12:21 PM
  Subject: Re: HELP! Prob w/ rebuilt engine

  We had the camshafts set for TDC, and we started out with the pistons =
all in about mid stroke with #1 on its way up.  Moving from there to =
TDC, nothing could have interfered.  We never took the shafts off the =
1.8 head, so the intake must have been timed right with the exhaust and =
all that sort of thing. =20

  We did this without spark plugs, so it isn't at all related to =
compression.=20

  The block has new rings and bearings in it, and new front and rear =
seals.  So maybe one of those is messed up, but if that were the case it =
would just get stuck here or there, or get jammed up, right?  It =
wouldn't make the shaft want to pop from something like 10=B0BTDC to TDC =
practically on its own and rest there, could it? =20

  I guess the thing to do would be to tear down the whole thing and =
check it out, but its in the car now.  We should have done that as soon =
as we noticed the problem but I guess we weren't in the mood or =
something. =20

  Can the oil pump be removed with the engine in the car?  I assume so.  =
Maybe there is something bizzarre going on between the pump or baffle =
and the crank.=20

  Any more ideas???=20

   Rabbit16v <Rabbit16v@attbi.com> wrote:=20

    So, you are turning over the motor without the timing belt hooked =
up???  That is suicide man!  The 2.0L 16v is an interference engine so =
you HAVE to have the timing belt hooked up to turn it over to TDC unless =
the cams are not installed.  There are ways of turning thre crank around =
without hitting valves but it isn't easy.  I can't think of anything =
else that would be interferring enough to cause the "popping" feeling =
that you are feeling at TDC than if you are smashing a valve.  I hope it =
isn't that, for you sake, but unless something weird is going on with =
the wrist pins/bushings or rod bearings or something along those lines, =
I can't think of anything else that would cause this.

    Dave

    ----- Original Message -----=20