what is this intake system?!

Sure, I remember Ruben and his ridiculous Mk1 Oettinger collection. In his
case, however, the intake plenum was *above* the valve cover as it is on
every other engine. This one is apparently flipped upside down. What is the
purpose of this scheme? With that huge volume between the air box and the
throttle body, it seems that the throttle response would be very soft and
laggy. It takes time to move all that air...
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut