Fuel Pump Relay, et al

RE:  Fuel pump thread

I believe Jonas, Chris, and Brian H. have fully discussed the rev
limiter/fpr thoroughly. Without looking at the Bentley, the ground
provided by ks box, lets call it a current "sink", goes to a two terminal
connector near the throttle body IIRC from a 8 to 16V conversion I had to
finish.  Now, if Jonas wants to send me his old and discarded KE 8V
stuff, I have a signal generator and a freq. counter if that could be
used to test the hypothesis.  I do not know what shape (sine, square,
triangle?) the impulse from the Hall sensor would be used or even if the
results would be useful......

>From digest:
On the low compression cars, terminal 31 goes directly to ground, and in the
High compression cars, terminal 31 goes to terminal 10 on the knock box.

So the knock box does _not_ trigger the FPR's activation, that's still done
by the coil, the box merely provides the ground, which it can interrupt "at
will".

I forget who said the knock box gave a pulsed ground, but from these
diagrams it seems that the knock box provides a full-time ground until the
rev limit is reached.

This is why Honnold's solution worked. He tee-ed the wire from terminal 10
on the knock box into the ground wire for the FPR. Thus, even when the rev
limit was reached, the FPR is grounded. Elegant.

When I installed the knock box for my 2.0 (aba/JH) install, I left the wire
from terminal 10 unconnected. It'll work fine.

A neat experiment in the real world would be for someone with a 16v (keeping
it scirocco specific), who knows what it's like to bounce off the rev
limiter, to tap in a ground for the wire from pin 10 on the knock box.

Then do back to back test with this tap _not_ connected to ground (rev
limiter enabled) vs. with the tap grounded (rev limiter disabled).

Let us know what happens when the knock box is pushed beyond the preset rev
limit, and how high it will rev. Also let us know at what point the motor
blows up. :-)

If no-one steps up to the plate, I'll just have to wait a couple of weeks,
then try it on my brother's POS discarded beater 86 GTI.

Jonas
end quote

Yes, there is an rpm governing distributor rotor available.  MOF, I have
one for the 84 FSP GTi.  Was a "shelf warmer" special at Autotech not
too  long ago.  I can provide the Bosch number if needed.  (Weber DCOE's
don't need no stinkin' KE-Jet fp relays....)

For those who do not wish to wire the fpr to coil but still have some
assurance the fp stops in an accident, Pegausus in WI offers an inerita
activated fuel cut-off switch for ....$65.  When I got data about this
years ago, the mfr claimed you could order it from a NAPA store FWIW.

RE:  The dead thread on central locking system and why?

Well, know that the VDO pneumatic actuators are Swiss made (I've got some
family history way back there) and quite reliable.  The motor IME needs
to be kept dry and exercised occasionally, though (anybody have a better
recommendation than 3M weatherstrip adhesive to seal leaky tailight
gaskets?).  And, there is a plastic linkage part that can break and has a
replacement that has better life (UV inhibitor?), but for about $10, I
have had keyless entry since 1987 in conjunction with my alarm.

And, because you can never accuse me of not being threads
late......POR-15 used to be sold my Rocky Mountain.  If they are truly
gone, anyone else find a vendor of the stamped steel lowering spring hats
they sold for ~$45?

Regards,

-- Brian D./OH
How can you be in two places at once when you're not anywhere at all...
Firesign Theatre