OT: SUV bashing was --->Re: Carfax Anyone???

All right I'm sure this thread is getting old for
people, so this is my last word on the issue. I just
believe the blame should not be placed on the vehicle
type but rather on the drivers. And no matter what
your driving there are always drivers in bigger
vehicles out there that can do you in.

--- Night Shadow <soltwede@privateI.com> wrote:
> Hit a nerve did I?

Of course you did.

> If you are going to lower yourself to name calling,
> and get all huffy,

I lowered myself because you said "never go off the
road", as if you know the driving conditions I face
here in Texas. I'm a land owner, I own two large
tracts of land in Texas that require me to go off road
frequently, sometimes the 4x4 option doesn't even help
me. You can't assume that all SUV drivers are equal in
regards to how they use their vehicle.

> You have the stereo-typical attitude of an SUV
> driver that is the REAL reason I hate SUVs
> (the drivers and their attitude).  "Waa waa, I wanna
> be safe, so I will buy the biggest land barge on the

> planet, fuck the rest of you, if you want to be safe

> too, drive something bigger."

So, does my "stereo-typical attitude" translate to a
person that owns and drives a Scirocco, wife's Escort,
brother's Triumph Spitfire, my other two project VW's
etc.? And I didn't buy the biggest thing there was,
the Explorer is one of the smaller SUV's out there.
And I didn't say buy something bigger, I said buy
something that can handle the impact, maybe a Volvo or
something.

> What a retarded attitude.  If everone would get this
> idea out of their head that bigger is safer, the
> entire US roadways would be safer.

I really didn't want a big vehicle, I just wanted one
that would handle the criteria of use I needed.

> Do you see my point?  (Small cars have less mass,
> therefore less energy at any speed...small car hits
> a small car, not as bad of an energy release)

Well, lets see, I lived in Japan for 9 years, I was
surrounded by tiny ass death trap cars called
Keijidosha's, they were cars that had very low HP
engines, light as a feather, high KPG, and routinely
you would see these little cars smashed all to hell
not by big SUV's, cement trucks, semi's or buses, but
by other little death trap cars. And most of the time
the accident would result in a fatality or two.
Cars like this:
http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/Duet/exterior/index.html#

> ...too much "following the herd" going on in this
> country.

Following the herd would be the farthest thing in my
mind, I hate conformity, I hate to have the same thing
as my next door neighbor, but what choices do I have?
If you can suggest an AWD vehicle that is chock full
of safety features, high MPG, $26K or less, seats five
comfortably with room for groceries, will not high
center when going off road, can tow a 16ft flatbed
trailer with another car or truck on the trailer, then
I'm all ears to buying such a vehicle.

Later...