Lifter Evacuation

Every time I start my 16v I have a minature drum machine beating me a sad
beat. The car still ticks if I just drive it on the street, but doesn't if I
speed down the freeway.

Question 1: What makes the lifters tick if they are worn?

Question 2: Where can I get/order new lifters?

Question 3: How long should it take to replace them? Considering I can't do
any work on my car at my apartment, I'm contemplating bringing this problem
with me to Cincy so someone can guide me through the fix.

Tobias