[tech]: compression ratio: 9a vs. pl

looking at the .org specs, and still trying to figure out the slowness of my
car, i noticed that the cr of the 9a is 10.8 vs. 10.0 for the pl, presumably
with their respective heads. is this due to the different stroke, or slight
differences in the heads? if it's the latter, then the 2.0/2l head combo
might actually be quicker than the 2.0/1.8 head (and i have an explanation
of why this is slower than the old 2l/2l).  either way, my impending head
work will involve some decking. guys who have done it, how high a cr can you
run w/o blowing headgaskets/pinging, and how much did you have taken off the
heads?
hmmm--this is actually a thread that hasn't been beaten into the ground
before, has it?

-michael
87 slowrocco 16v