funny noises after some timing belt work...

Make sure the belt is not hitting the lower timing belt cover.  There is a
lot of "slop" in regard to where the cover can be located before it is
bolted down.  Loosen the bolts and adjust the position of the cover and
tighten it down again.  Or if you take it all the way off and look inside
and see a scuff or wear mark, that  is a clue. If not that, and it is a
mechanical noise, I would agree with Patrick that it could be the tensioner
bearing that is going.

Good luck,

Chris