funny noises after some timing belt work...

well...first thing is to get all the timing marks straight-your problem
still could be a skipped tooth on the timing belt.  i assume this is 8v.
take the timing belt off, align everything per bentley, and retime (what
belts need to be taken off to replace an idle screw btw?). is the whirring
noise coming from the belts, or somewhere else?
-m