funny noises after some timing belt work...

Hi folks... I just did somethin a little dumb with my
rocco... I went for a hard canyon drive for about two
hours, and just before i got home started hearing a
funny noise that i don't think i can really describe
all that well. Anywayz, my dad immediatly assumed the
worst and thought it might be that the timing belt had
skipped a tooth... but as it turned out, all that
happened was that my idle screw fell out (wtf?!?).
Anywayz, i got a new one and put it in, went to put
the belts back on, and guess what? po musta taken the
top end apart at some point; The cam sprocket TDC
marking doesn't match up to the distributor rotor
(which btw also doesn't match up to the flywheel
TDC!!!). Anywayz, knowing that it's not an
interference engine, we just kept moving the belt
little by little and carefully cranking the engine for
very short durations till we got it close to right...
I'm pretty close to just taking it to a mechanic, but
i wanted to ask here just in case... It's making a
strange whirring noise (i sprayed the belts with some
'moistening' stuff, to no avail), sputtering and
generally not running well... i think it might be a
vacuum leak that conveniently hopped on the bandwagon
as the idle screw popped out. Anywayz, sorry for the
length of the post, i appreciate any insight anyone
might have...

Doruk Seren

(The Turk!)