Financial tally on our cars!

  Who cares how much it costs ...

  I bought my 84 Scirocco new in November 1983, leather, electric
everything, sunroof. That was so much money I prefer to forget how much.

  Over the years, most of the mechanicals have been replaced or rebuilt,
except the engine - but then I change oil and filter every 4000
kilometers (about 2500 miles). And I dutifully feed it the recommended
91 RON gasoline.

  Insurance went way up because thngs lying on the road hit me, stupid
radio hunters hit me 3 times in 3 months in 1985, a drunk driver hit a
car behind me and sent it flying onto my real bumper, a pseudo river
with all season radials hit me during a freezing rain while I was parked
in a shopping center. Now the rates are back to normal.

  I had new fenders and hood installed. It got a new muffler, a new gas
tank. It needs summer tires - but the summer tires it now have done a
terrific job for the past 6 years, given the low mileage I do with the
Scirocco since I got a Jetta to keep it company.

  I have to pay now to get it stored in the winter, but every spring,
after renewing the registration and turning the key, I remember it is
now family and forget about what it cost.

  This is totally crazy - but we feel good together :-)

	Jean-Claude
	84 8v