Financial tally on our cars!

I just did a solid tally on the expenditures of tuning my car in the
three years Ive had it.  It includes everything spent from initial
purchase excluding state lisencing fees and standard petroleum product
consumption.   Basically, I could have just gone out and bought a new
jetta with some extras on it- maybe even the wolfsburg if I haggled
right.  I expected to be in the teens but not the high teens.  This
brings me to wonder how many others are acutely aware of how deep they
are into their rocc projects (singular, per car tally)?

At this point im asking myself what the hell im doing and why? I mean I
love cars- but im dumping money into a vehicle that can be had for the
cost of a nice vacuum cleaner. And, im thinking I should have maybe
jumped into a project that would actually pay for itself like a 70-71
cuda 340 or 440 sixpack.

So the question stands: How much and why- to my fellow listers.