Financial tally on our cars!

I keep a semi-updated running tally on mine - this is
for 4 years but only ~30K (small town) - this does not
include gas and lubricants

http://student.fortlewis.edu/~mwmages/cars/Scirocco/scirocco.htm

Black text is current, white has been replaced and
pink is yet to be installed

That does not include ~400$ worth of window rubber,
G-Grind Cam that are not installed but are in the
garage, and the new master cylinder, coolant hoses
(all of them), and cylinder head / oil pan gaskets I
still need to buy.

As for the why - at this point I am far too many
dollars into it for the measly $3000 (that's a
generous estimate) that I would get out of it.  I
really like working on it too - but rebuilding the
engine on my van (successfully!) took all the
work-on-car mojo out of me for a while.

Oh - and I like driving it :)

Mark

--- Mike Blain <rept@qwest.net> wrote:
> I just did a solid tally on the expenditures of
> tuning my car in the
> three years Ive had it.  It includes everything
> spent from initial
> purchase excluding state lisencing fees and standard
> petroleum product
> consumption.   Basically, I could have just gone out
> and bought a new
> jetta with some extras on it- maybe even the
> wolfsburg if I haggled
> right.  I expected to be in the teens but not the
> high teens.  This
> brings me to wonder how many others are acutely
> aware of how deep they
> are into their rocc projects (singular, per car
> tally)?
>
> At this point im asking myself what the hell im
> doing and why? I mean I
> love cars- but im dumping money into a vehicle that
> can be had for the
> cost of a nice vacuum cleaner. And, im thinking I
> should have maybe
> jumped into a project that would actually pay for
> itself like a 70-71
> cuda 340 or 440 sixpack.
>
> So the question stands: How much and why- to my
> fellow listers.

=====
Mark
84 Rocco