My exhaust is driving me nuts!

I have had lots of exhausts not fit right. Finally, I "fabricated" one
myself - the one on my Rabbit right now works perfectly. I had a local
speed shop make me a really nice 2-into-1 downpipe that empties out into
2". Then I got a generic flexy pipe (a nice one, not one of those crappy
Autozone repair-it-yourself exhaust pieces), then ran that into a piece of
pipe that I had an exhaust shop make for me for $10, then into a length of
straight 2", then into another pipe (the over-the-axle one) that I had an
exhaust shop make me, looking at the stock exahust, for $20, then into a
cheap $20 muffler. It performs well, fits right, doesn't hit anything, and
was CHEAP. It even sounds kinda good, and doesn't leak even though I've
neglected to put clamps on it in most places. What's the point of this
story? Well, I had to cut the $20 over-the-axle piece in half and stuff
some pipe in between to make it fit right, even though it measured out
precisely like the stock unit. Exhausts are a PITA and I've usually had to
modify them slightly. I even had to modify the stock OEM exhaust I got
from Adirondack to go on my '86 Scirocco - and I wasn't even trying to do
anything funny with it. Play with it - you can make it fit right.
	-Josiah