my clutch problem: the mechanics input

i rebuilt a 1987 16v engine and had an 020 tranny from an 84 8v.  i put both
in another 1987 16v scirocco and the engine starts but the clutch doesnt
engage correctly.  when i push the petal there is a buzzing sound
and if i try to put it in gear i can grind it in and the wheels turn before
i let out on the petal (but not enough force to move the car) and if i let
out they stop turning.  i took the tranny back off and cleaned and checked
everything to do with the clutch again, but with the same results.  the
mechanic came yesterday and said he thinks the disk is backwards..and you
have the story from there.

tony