[OT] Rally rules

1: Do you want to start a Road Rally team, a
Performance Club/Pro-Rally team or do you want to do
Solo-I? Completely different activities. The Solo-I
rulebook is the same for Solo-II, so you can get it at
any SCCA autocross. Maybe Scott can chime in about
Rally...

2: Forgive my bluntness here: If you're too cheap to
spend $15-$20 on a rulebook, you are completely
incapable of running either Solo-I or Rally.

I don't mean to come across as such a hard-ass, but if
you don't want to spend $20 on a rulebook, you really
ought to think about whether or not you're able to
sustain such a hobby. In both cases, a "somewhat
recent" rulebook is worse than none at all, an SCCA
membership is required, and a competition license is
also needed. Multi-state travel (except for maybe the
one event a year that is near your home) and $60-$200
entry fees are required for every event. Safety gear
such as roll cages, driving suits, and fire
suppression systems are mandatory for Solo-I and Perf.
Rally. I don't know about Rally, but Solo-I also
requires prior Solo experience (Solo Trials or
Solo-II). Hell, even being serious about Solo-II costs
more money (ask me about it!). Being too cheap for $20
isn't going to get you far.

You should definitely scope this stuff out before
proceeding any further. A new rulebook and club
membership are the first steps in entering a fairly
serious sport like one of these. Go to some events.
Talk to some teams. Maybe even volunteer to be a crew
member on a team for an event or two. I can't tell you
how much I learned when I was a crew member for Paul
Eklund's ProRally team, except that it will be a while
before I can afford Performance Rally! It is still
tons of fun, even if you aren't driving. :)

Neal
(Working into National Solo-II, ProSolo and Solo
Trials for now...)

--- Jerry Carter <killmurder_@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hey all... I was wondering if anyone on the list
> happens to have any current
> (or somewhat current) scca rulebooks for solo 1
> lying around thier house.
> I'm starting up a rally team and I don't have the
> rulebooks, but I'm too
> cheap to buy them. since the team won't be started
> until next season, that
> would be when I would have to buy the books, but in
> the meantime I need to
> know what I need to do to a car to make it
> rally-able, and a breakdown of
> the classes would be handy as well.
>
> Thanks!
> Jerry C.