was Re: upper strut nut question..., now tranny drain plug Q

Ewan-
   Though this is not the first time my posts have been tagged as "anal", I
was trying to clarify to the list what you were talking about. Different
people use different terms for the same thing.  In this case, I may have
done more harm than good, since what you've just described is not what I
know as a 'box-end wrench'.  I've tried to visualize what you are
describing, but cannot come up with a common name.  The error lies in my
visualization process, I'm sure.

Two, makeshift tools I have seen and used are:
A) Longish bolt  (usually a 10mm dia) with a 17mm head, grasped by
vise-grips.  Pretty much ruins the bolt for any other use, put it works for
removing the plugs (both drain and side fill/check)
B) Cut the head off the above bolt and weld it to a 3" long, three-eigths
inch extension.  This is what I am presently using. It works so well because
you can then use a torque wrench to put the proper 18 ft/lbs on the plugs
when you re-install them.

Hope this helps and good luck.  By the way, if you want me to make one of
these tools for you, email me off-line.

Larry   sandiego16V