Lightened Flywheels

----- Original Message -----
From: Shawn C Meze <skerocdriver@juno.com>

> 1) They have NOTHING to do with how the car idles. NOTHING!
> if the car has a lumpy idle then its related to -other- reasons. nip-it!

Wrongo, professor.  More mass means more constant engine speed, which is
only noticeable at low rpms, but means less bumpiness in the idle  (i.e.
less of a back massage from your 'rocco).
True that other problems need a good nippin' tho.

> 2) A lightened flywheel will not make the car be hard to drive up hills.
> (I didn't hear it this around with the thread. dunno what NASA scientist
> said that but he needs to also be told that the crack pipe doesn't go up
> your butt. N-kay?)

True.  True.  xspecially the butt part.

> 3) A lightened flywheel will add to the engine braking effect. When you
> remove rotating weight, it allows the motor to spool UP AND DOWN the
> same. Don't believe me? Rev it and see how fast it returns to idle. This
> translates to when your driving, if your maintaining speed and then lift
> off the gas (the pedal on the right) the car will slow down much faster
> than the same car with a stock flywheel.
> All this BS guessing submitted as fact is pretty lame guys. nip-it!

True again, and thoroughly corrected by now.

> 4) depending on how much weight is removed from the flywheel, the only
> negative difference is when you launch (not a racing launch, just
> regular, "GREEN LIGHT", oh ok, go" launches.) you might need to rev a
> little more to get the car moving. That's all! Nip-it!

This and idle are what I'm worried about.  I also just realized that that is
why I stalled Ron's car like three times trying to get out of Duan's yard at
Cincy last year.  That and different clutch adjustment,  and, uh, some other
excuses, too.

> In 2 of the 3 VW's I have lightened flywheels in, I need a couple hundred
> more RPM's to get moving without stalling. (all you engineers can splain
> why that is.) The 3rd car is just like before.

Uh, does that mean the 3rd is stock, or feels like stock?  If it ain't
stock, what's it got, and why didn't it change?

> So the bottom line is, just do it. N-kay?

Yes, sir, I think I will.  I guess I'm heading back to my previous plan of
light flywheel and moderate cams.  Hmmm.  Variable back pressure would solve
all of this.

BH