Lightened Flywheels

On Wed, 27 Mar 2002 15:22:16 -0500 Allyn <amalventano1@comcast.net>
writes:
>lighter flywheel is kinda more/less engine braking B-F-SNIPOLAH!-

I cant believe how many crack pipe owners we have on this here list.
Chripes man.

OK, from the files of BTDT and my Masters degree from Mother Earth
Univeristy, (MEU Go Soilmen!) heres the real deal with lightened
flywheels.

1) They have NOTHING to do with how the car idles. NOTHING!

if the car has a lumpy idle then its related to -other- reasons. nip-it!

2) A lightened flywheel will not make the car be hard to drive up hills.
(I didn't hear it this around with the thread. dunno what NASA scientist
said that but he needs to also be told that the crack pipe doesn't go up
your butt. N-kay?)

3) A lightened flywheel will add to the engine braking effect. When you
remove rotating weight, it allows the motor to spool UP AND DOWN the
same. Don't believe me? Rev it and see how fast it returns to idle. This
translates to when your driving, if your maintaining speed and then lift
off the gas (the pedal on the right) the car will slow down much faster
than the same car with a stock flywheel.
All this BS guessing submitted as fact is pretty lame guys. nip-it!

4) depending on how much weight is removed from the flywheel, the only
negative difference is when you launch (not a racing launch, just
regular, "GREEN LIGHT", oh ok, go" launches.) you might need to rev a
little more to get the car moving. That's all! Nip-it!

In 2 of the 3 VW's I have lightened flywheels in, I need a couple hundred
more RPM's to get moving without stalling. (all you engineers can splain
why that is.) The 3rd car is just like before.

So the bottom line is, just do it. N-kay?

Shawn Méze
86' Jetta GLi 8V   88' Corvette -SS 30- 2001 SDR Solo2 Champion
82' Scirocco GTi -FSP 54-   79' "Project FSP Scirocco"  84' Scirocco 8V
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco(s) in all of
San Diego!

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.