Lightened Flywheels

On Wed, 27 Mar 2002 21:59:39 -0600 "Brian Haygood" <scirious@hotmail.com>
writes:

>Wrongo, professor.  More mass means more constant engine speed, which
>is
>only noticeable at low rpms, but means less bumpiness in the idle
>(i.e. less of a back massage from your 'rocco).
>True that other problems need a good nippin' tho.

Heh, if you say so man. My 82 with a stock cam, ballanced 8.5 compresion
idles smoothly at 750rpms. Splain dat yo?
My 84 with a 272 cam, ballanced 11.4-1 compression idles lumpy at 900
rpms. Your point was again? Well, -my point- was that if you have a lumpy
idle and its a stock cam, the reason for the lumpyness is from many other
possible reasons and not because of the lighter flywheel.

>This and idle are what I'm worried about.

All you do is bump up the idle a tad. Its not a major ordeal.

>I also just realized that that is
>why I stalled Ron's car like three times trying to get out of Duan's
>yard at Cincy last year.  That and different clutch
>adjustment,  and, uh, some other excuses, too.

Rookie!

>Uh, does that mean the 3rd is stock, or feels like stock?  If it ain't
>stock, what's it got, and why didn't it change?

That means that the amount of weight removed for the 84 roc was a 11lb
flywheel machined down and ballanced to a 8lb flywheel. Not alot of
weight so the difference wasnt huge. I do notice it on the freeway more
than I do anywhere else. The other 2 flywheels were a 6.5lb and a 7.5lb
flywheels.

>> So the bottom line is, just do it. N-kay?
>
>Yes, sir, I think I will.  I guess I'm heading back to my previous plan
of
>light flywheel and moderate cams.  Hmmm.  Variable back pressure would
>solve all of this.
>
>BH

Just do it.

Shawn Méze
86' Jetta GLi 8V   88' Corvette -SS 30- 2001 SDR Solo2 Champion
82' Scirocco GTi -FSP 54-   79' "Project FSP Scirocco"  84' Scirocco 8V
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco(s) in all of
San Diego!

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.