What were these LEDs for?

Brian-
  Yes, it's possible.  The bumps are a separate, black plastic insert that
falls out (all too readily!) when you take the unit apart.  I bought a spare
instrument set from one of you listers just for the LED group. I was going
to install the group in the "dummy" holes and hook them up to other things.
A quick exam revealed that it would take a GREAT deal of work to get around
the space limitations, electrical connecting, etc. and I gave up on the
idea.  Perhaps one of you could persevere and accomplish what I did not.  If
you do, I want to know how you went about it.  By the way, Brian, did I buy
that instrument cluster from you??!!

Larry   sandiego16V