Question on LUMPY idle (was: Lightened Flywheels)

--- Cory Langford <cory.langford@icbc.com> wrote:

> Here is the question:
>
> It has what I would call a very "lumpy" idle.  It starts
> on first crank,
> and it is quiet as hell starting.  But once idling it
> tends to sound
> "lumpy" and a little loud.  Loud is due to that Eurosport
> exhaust that
> was put into the thing by the P.O., unfortunately he did
> not know what
> was done to the engine as he only had it a short time.
>
> So what causes this LUMPINESS?  It is not the "roll" you
> get sometimes
> when the engine is older, or miss adjusted.  It really
> sounds lumpy (now
> that I know what that sounds like first hand).
>
> My first thought was a cam.

Your first thought is probably correct.

  I did not realize that a
> lightened flywheel
> would do this.

No, it won't.

Where is the powerband?  Is it more 16v-like, i.e. above
3k?

=====
Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
'80 S, 81 S, '82, '85, & '88 Sciroccos
'82 Pickup
'90 Passat Wagon
"Never joke, taunt or dangle what might be seen as a challenge in front of the powers that be.  The universe is listening." - Lane Wallace