cross drilled rotors Scott Williams is WRONG!

>Bret I would agree for road vehuicules and daily drivers, coudl you explain
>why then F1 Racing and Nascar Use Cross drilled rotors if indeed it provide
>"now-adays" no evidance of added performance.
>
>inquiring mind would like to know.
>
>ATS - Patrick

I'm sorry if I'm a bit confused, but are you asking this because you might
have read my posting incorrectly...where I quoted the GRM article as stating
that F1 and NASCAR teams _do_not_ use cross drilled rotors, or you may have
some knowledge which the article writers and magazine editors did not and that
those teams _do_ in face have occasion to use cross drilled rotors?

As I did not note before, because it just doesn't apply to our cars, there is
one exception to the cross drilled rule...as stated by the GRM
article, it's where
the rotors are so oversized, the swiss  cheese is applied to reduce the mass of
those parts (like for any performance motorcycle or lighter formula car).
Remember that nothing comes for free.  If those teams switched to non-drilled
rotors, they would see longer brake pad life, and lower operating temperatures.

Oh, I forgot to address the slotted units...

Slotting rotors OTOH, might be a consideration.  Cutting thin slots
across the face
of the rotor can actually help clean the face of the brake pads over
time, helping
to reduce the glazing often found during high-speed use which can lower the
coefficient of friction.

==Brett

\/\/ '88 Scirocco 16v (Show), '92 Passat 16v (Winter+) | - brett@netacc.net