cross drilled rotors Scott Williams is WRONG!

>Oh Brett , one more question yes I am about to disagree again...:) (I am on
>that mood what can I say)
>
>Now if bigger brakes are not better than smaller brakes, could you explain
>why formula 1 car that weight so little, use 15" disc brakes ALSO, they use
>QUAD piston system to brake their cars?
>
>quick answer because they need to drop from 200 MPH to 60MPH from straight
>line to curve..
>
>If indeed buigger was not better, I think that builder would use smaller
>brakes simply because it is cheaper to use a 9.4" rotor that has existed
>sine the mid-70's instead od making a car based on 13" rotors that cost more
>no ?
>
>ATS - Patrick Bureau
>(not flaming asking questions here!)

It's alright, I'm in the mood to correct some of the misconceptions,
wrong info, and
authoritatively incorrect postings... :)

The answer is easy:  heat.

I really need to post this article soon I guess...go back and read
what I wrote again...

Go bigger until it solves your heating problems.

What a bigger rotor will do is lower the overall operating
temperature of the brakes,
which is a GREAT idea IF your temps are causing problems with other
parts of the
braking system (burned bearings, boiling fluid, ineffective braking
due to overheated
friction material..)

Here is the physics so easily forgotten by many people...the braking
system does
essentially one thing:  turns kinetic energy (motion) into thermal
(heat) through
friction.

==Brett

\/\/ '88 Scirocco 16v (Show), '92 Passat 16v (Winter+) | - brett@netacc.net