a few JH rebuilding Q's-

> -would it harm the alternator if I sprayed alot of contact cleaner into the brushes/coil-wire
> thing/whatever and spun it around?  would this even help at all?

The only part that needs to be cleaned is the brush/slip ring assembly on the end. This is just to
get the carbon dust off of it. As for the rest of the alternator, the coil wires are encased in
resin, which excessive contact cleaner will only hurt.

Allyn Malventano, ETC(SS), USN
87 Rieger GTO Scirocco 16v (daily driver, 170k, rocco #6)
86 Kamei Twin 16V Turbo Scirocco GTX ('it has begun', rocco #7)
87 Jetta 8v Wolfsburg 2dr (daily driver, 260k, 0 rattles, original clutch, driveshafts, wheels :)