Idle Problems Until Warmed Up...

I have read the posts regarding idle problems and found it a little
overwhelming in terms of all the different symptoms and their solutions
so I'm bothering you guys with my question.  I just bought an 86 8V and
when I start it, it seems to idle normal for about 2-3 minutes and then
it begins to hunt between normal (about 1000 rpm's?) and almost
stalling.
It also tends to hesitate in the low rpm range during this phase which
lasts about 10-15 minutes.  After this, it seems to be relatively normal
with only very slight fluctuations.  I had an 85 8V a few years ago with
a similar problem, but the hunting didn't go away after warming up.  I
had a mechanic fix it, but I can't remember what the cause was and it
may have been a different problem anyway.

I have replaced the plugs, cap, rotor and fuel filter.  A Bentley book
and K & N filter are arriving tomorrow...new o-rings are going in this
weekend which I'm hoping will fix it, but who knows...  I guess my
question is: Can anyone quickly rule out or zero in on anything that
might be causing my particular sort of problem (that it goes away after
warming up) or do I have to try various things until I get lucky?  I
looked through that article on the Scirocco.org site from European Car,
but I don't have half of that test equipment and their problem was with
a warm engine!  Sorry if this post seems long, but I am making a strong
effort to do all the maintenance on this car myself and I need a little
help here or else I'll just take it in and let someone else worry about
it.

Thanks alot for any help!
Jason Jones