Large Macho Injectors - the Other Thread

----- Original Message -----
From: T Berk <tberk@mindspring.com>
To: Scirocco List <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Friday, June 14, 2002 8:41 PM
Subject: Large Macho Injectors - the Other Thread

> I want to start a new thread to better understand this part of a hybrid
> motor:
>
> - Injector size(s) and rating
>
> - Differences and ramifications in mixing and matching shrouded and
> non-shrouded injectors and inserts.

You are aware that the ongoing thread about Josh's 1.8T injectors is about
electronic solenoid injectors, not CIS injectors???

> Simple Questions to start with:
>
> 1. Non-Shrouded Injectors (injectors) from a US 84 GTI Rabbit w/ JH used
> with US 86 GTI w/RD motor. Will they put out enough to avoid trouble w/
> the differences? My guess is yes, the jump from 8:1 to 10:1 isn't enough
> to overwork them.

the injector from a CIS system will flow enough to support at least 175 HP
and probably over 200 HP. But, on a CIS system the injector is only an
atomization valve and has nothing to do with the amount of fuel delivered.
That is all determined by the fuel distributor. I went from 90 hp to ~145
with no changes to my fuel system, so you will have no problem with your
change

> 2a. Air Shrouded injectors (Sh Injectors) have two o-rings on them,
> regular ones have just the one. I stuck the regular ones in the newer
> head and wonder what effect leaving open or blocking off the air port on
> the back of the head will have.

I'm not aware that air shroud injectors have two o-rings. My 84 (that I
bought new) has an air shroud head and single o-ring injectors.

> 2b. The Shrouds themselves stick down in the air path, I am wondering
> what if I just nip off the ends.*

If the second small o-ring sticks into the port I'd pull the o-ring and
adapter piece off the end of the injector. My car runs fine without it.
Don't know why yours wouldn't.