Large Macho Injectors - the Other Thread

Dan Bubb wrote:

> [...]

Yep, big part of it being 'New Thread'.

> > Simple Questions to start with:
> >
> > 1. Non-Shrouded Injectors (injectors) from a US 84 GTI Rabbit w/ JH used
> > with US 86 GTI w/RD motor. Will they put out enough to avoid trouble w/
> > the differences? My guess is yes, the jump from 8:1 to 10:1 isn't enough
> > to overwork them.
>
> the injector from a CIS system will flow enough to support at least 175 HP
> and probably over 200 HP. But, on a CIS system the injector is only an
> atomization valve and has nothing to do with the amount of fuel delivered.
> That is all determined by the fuel distributor. I went from 90 hp to ~145
> with no changes to my fuel system, so you will have no problem with your
> change

I'm pretty sure I'd be OK. The Fuel Dist is the larger plate unit from
the 84 GTI. Even with a 2.0 3a block under the solid lifter head I am
looking to get ~150 HP and be happy.

> > 2a. Air Shrouded injectors (Sh Injectors) have two o-rings on them,
> > regular ones have just the one. I stuck the regular ones in the newer
> > head and wonder what effect leaving open or blocking off the air port on
> > the back of the head will have.
>
> I'm not aware that air shroud injectors have two o-rings. My 84 (that I
> bought new) has an air shroud head and single o-ring injectors.

Interesting. They seem to come after 84 then because both GTI heads (84
solid big valve vs 85 hydro on an RD) have air port on the back of the
head but only the 85 had the second set down near the tip.

> > 2b. The Shrouds themselves stick down in the air path, I am wondering
> > what if I just nip off the ends.*
>
> If the second small o-ring sticks into the port I'd pull the o-ring and
> adapter piece off the end of the injector. My car runs fine without it.
> Don't know why yours wouldn't.

I'm using the single O-ring injectors right now, I broke one of the A2
units pulling them to clean up the block.

BTW- The ends I am talking about aren't ON the injectors, I mean the
tips of the (cups) inserts themselves.

Thx for responding- I'll bet I don't get much traffic on this thread
because of the other threads' drama.

TBerk