Silicone and O2 Sensors

Ken Bates wrote:

> Well I found that a teeny shot of silicone spray makes fitting the coolant
> hoses a lot easier especially the short ones down near the oil cooler where
> there isnt much room to "work" them on.  My question is should i be carefull
> about this stuff near any intake, like the big boot that connects the TB to
> the fuel dist?   I seem to remember that silicone hurts the CAT or the 02
> sensor.

Yep, if you need a lube on those, better to use a drop of two of fresh
motor oil. After you get it connected wipe the excess off to discourage
attracting dirt. O2 sensor has Platinum as it's main active ingredient,
it is very reactive, esp at high heats and won't mind combining with the
wrong elements/compounds. Once the 'holes' get clogged up it renders the
O2 ineffective.

> Also just so I have it straight, does no signal for the 02 sensor make the
> mixture full rich or way lean. Not quite sure the logic on that "loop"
> Thanks as allways,
> Ken

Unplugged O2 sensors make for rich running cars.
btw, WOT switch (Wide Open Throttle) makes for a closed circuit, makes
for lots of gas to avoid leaning out.

TBerk