Silicone and O2 Sensors

Well I found that a teeny shot of silicone spray makes fitting the coolant
hoses a lot easier especially the short ones down near the oil cooler where
there isnt much room to "work" them on.  My question is should i be carefull
about this stuff near any intake, like the big boot that connects the TB to
the fuel dist?   I seem to remember that silicone hurts the CAT or the 02
sensor.
Also just so I have it straight, does no signal for the 02 sensor make the
mixture full rich or way lean. Not quite sure the logic on that "loop"
Thanks as allways,
Ken
'79 Scirocco 16v project "McFly"
"...it's working...It's Working...!!"