master cylinder trouble.....the way to test if it works

Best way I have found to tell when a MC is already by passing is to start
the car up and pump the brakes 3 or 4 times and then hold it.  It may take
a minute or two, but if you find the pedal slowly going down towards the
floor at all, you have a bad MC.  Pressure should stay constant.