master cylinder trouble.....the way to test if it works

Actually, that's just to test if the vacuum booster works... although I
guess it would work the same for the MC...
When my master cylinder went bad, the brake pedal would go to the floor alot
(without actually stopping the car) - to get it to stop, I would have to
pump the pedal to build pressure again.