front exhaust bracket

I'm not really sure, the bracket looks like it went right in front of the cat,
connected to the downpipe. However all that was left was two bolts and some
metal that was just shot, so I have no clue how it attached or did anything
else.

anyone have a toiletbowl with this clamp that could enlighten me?

LT
87 8v - the tomboy