From: <joshhignight@techography.net>
To: Scirocco List <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Saturday, July 20, 2002 9:49 PM
Subject: Oil squirters. Required, or dead weight?

   I am in the middle of a dilemna. My beasty block has been cursed with
problem after problem. First, I find the pistons are facing the wrong
direction (it's a 16v, relief cuts for intake valves were installed facing
the exhuast valves). Open bottom end, rods are on backwards too (bumps on
rods are not facing cambelt side of block, going against Bentley note). Pull
rod caps, crank, rotate pistons and rods, reassemble. Turn crank... thunk
(contact). Searching reveals that the oil squirts are contacting the now
correctly installed rods.

So, do I pull the oil squirters and just live with it? Do I go through the
hassle of not having my car for how many more weeks to have things corrected
(the shop is not local, by 900 miles)? If the block will have no adverse
effects from not having the squirters installed, I'll run it like that. I
plan to hit 8K rpm with it and it's running 83mm forged pistons and 2L crank
and rods (was a stock 1.8 16v block).

Any and all input are welcome.

Joshua