Oil squirters. Required, or dead weight?

   I am in the middle of a dilemna. My beasty block has been=
 cursed with problem after problem. First, I find the pistons are=
 facing the wrong direction (it's a 16v, relief cuts for intake=
 valves were installed facing the exhuast valves). Open bottom=
 end, rods are on backwards too (bumps on rods are not facing=
 cambelt side of block, going against Bentley note). Pull rod=
 caps, crank, rotate pistons and rods, reassemble. Turn crank...=
 thunk (contact). Searching reveals that the oil squirts are=
 contacting the now correctly installed rods.

So, do I pull the oil squirters and just live with it? Do I go=
 through the hassle of not having my car for how many more weeks=
 to have things corrected (the shop is not local, by 900 miles)?=
 If the block will have no adverse effects from not having the=
 squirters installed, I'll run it like that. I plan to hit 8K rpm=
 with it and it's running 83mm forged pistons and 2L crank and=
 rods (was a stock 1.8 16v block).

Any and all input are welcome.

Joshua