From: <joshhignight@techography.net>
To: "Scirocco List" <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Saturday, July 20, 2002 8:49 PM
Subject: Oil squirters. Required, or dead weight?

   I am in the middle of a dilemna. My beasty block has been cursed with problem after problem.
First, I find the pistons are facing the wrong direction (it's a 16v, relief cuts for intake valves
were installed facing the exhuast valves). Open bottom end, rods are on backwards too (bumps on rods
are not facing cambelt side of block, going against Bentley note). Pull rod caps, crank, rotate
pistons and rods, reassemble. Turn crank... thunk (contact). Searching reveals that the oil squirts
are contacting the now correctly installed rods.

So, do I pull the oil squirters and just live with it? Do I go through the hassle of not having my
car for how many more weeks to have things corrected (the shop is not local, by 900 miles)? If the
block will have no adverse effects from not having the squirters installed, I'll run it like that. I
plan to hit 8K rpm with it and it's running 83mm forged pistons and 2L crank and rods (was a stock
1.8 16v block).

Any and all input are welcome.

Joshua