opening the hood is a 2 person job

I had a similar problem on my 'rocco.  The passenger
side latch suddenly wasn't releasing.  To open it, I
was able to reach in and pull the cable from
underneath.

The fix was to adjust the latch mechanism - the part
of the latch in the hood.  Just unscrewed it a half a
turn or so.  It's been fine since.

Hope this helps.

Russ