cardboard thing on top of the rad have a purpose?

I was checking the fluids in the rocco yesterday when I noticed that the cardboard thing that sits on top of the radiator had fallen into the front of the car. It was blocking the radiator from gettin air. In the process of taking it out, I wrecked it. WTF does that thing do? I have seen metal ones on sale on eBay. Its like a baffle or something. It directs the wind onto the radiator? Should I bother replacing it? Will someone have one at waterfest? I dunno if I am even going yet anyway, but lemme know. Maybe I will go.

Thanks,

Marko

---
87 Scirocco 8v