cardboard thing on top of the rad have a purpose?

Marko Latrell wrote:

> I was checking the fluids in the rocco yesterday when I noticed that the cardboard thing that sits on top of the radiator had fallen into the front of the car. It was blocking the radiator from gettin air. In the process of taking it out, I wrecked it. WTF does that thing do? I have seen metal ones on sale on eBay. Its like a baffle or something. It directs the wind onto the radiator? Should I bother replacing it? Will someone have one at waterfest? I dunno if I am even going yet anyway, but lemme know. Maybe I will go.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marko

When I made a side panel out of masoonite (hardboard) I made the mistake
of securing it on the chassis side & rad side with silicon sealant.

This led vibrations to crack open the side of the plastic end cap on my
oem radiator and spill my coolant out on the freeway.

Make a new one but don't over engineer it; best stuff i can come up with
the recommend is corrugated plastic stock from TAP plastic; stiff and
light and waterproof:

<http://www.tapplastics.com>

Nice place, lots of CheapAss possibilities.  ;])

TBerk