cardboard thing on top of the rad have a purpose?

I replaced it on my car because...well...I'm not really sure why :)  It was
only about $25 from the dealer.  I would imagine that it would direct the
air into the radiator.

- Jan Folkson  http://www.janfolkson.com
NYC

'86 16V
'99 Passat GLS 1.8t
'00 Beetle GLX 1.8t

"Gravity, it's not just a good idea...it's the law!"