OT- Drooling at the VW dealer today

On Sat, 13 Jul 2002 11:34:51 -0700, "Brad Sterling"
<bgsterling@earthlink.net> wrote:

>I'm getting in on this late, but thought I'd throw in my .02.  My wife =
just
>bought a 2002 GTI vr6.  Relfex silver, 201hp, 6-speed manual.  She chose=
 the
>6 over the four because it's low torque and flat power curve are similar=
>the RX-7 she's giving up.  It's a cool car, but don't expect it to be =
like
>any of the A1 VWs (don't expect that of the 4 either).  It's powerful,
>heavy, and surprisingly big.  When you see these things on the road, =
next to
>all of the sedans, station wagons, pick'em up trucks, and jacked up =
station
>wagons, they look just a tad larger than the previous generation GTIs.  =
But
>seeing the thing parked in the garage next to my MkII, it shows it's =
true
>size.  The thing is big, tall, and roomy.  It's more of a grand tourer =
now,
>not the minimalist, go-kart style of Gen 1 (my personal fav GTI).  Don't=
 get
>me wrong, it's a good car.  It will outperform my 16v in almost every =
way,
>but it bores me compared to my 'Roc.  My wife claims I am living in the =
past
>(actually, she says that about all of us on this list).  My point:  feel
>free to drool, but get your expectations ready for when you drive it.

Similar situation in that this is my wifes car and it would be
replacing her daily driver of the past 14 years, a 300ce.  Nice car,
but an expensive maintenance daily driver after 185k.  She prefers
driving a manual trans and considers all the options as necessary
equipment.  I figure that this car would certainly feel more nimble to
her than a Benz coupe and have all the goodies she's used to and more.
And the big one: It has a 4-year new car warranty - no more nasty
surprise auto repair expenses! =20

SIlver 6cyl 6spd?  That's the one I would pick.. don't know about the
one who would *actually* get to pick. =20

Gordon

75 Mk I/Drake 1.9 8V
http://home.att.net/~gforbess/scirocco/scirocco.htm